Thursday, December 11, 2014

Making Someone's Day Is 1 Compliment Away

Yes, the title rhymes.
Anyways, I just remembered a principle I usually forget: Complimenting people!
I am not very good at complimenting people. Or myself, for that matter. When I compliment people, it's sincere and simple... but also pretty rare. Anyways, I've been receiving lots of compliments lately. And it's amazing how some of them I take with 0 grace and how others just turn my day right-side-up. I remembered a change I made when I was 18; a senior in high school. I started just telling every girl how cute they looked that day. I didn't even have any intentions, but I noticed that it made most of them feel better. Now folks: There are plenty more types of compliments to give people. I've always known this, and I apply it at random. I'm  not even that nice to girls these days. I understand the principle of complimenting others, but I suck at it.
In the past week, people have complimented on my sculpturing, my guitar playing, my bass guitar playing, my work ethic, my looks, and (the hilarious one) my health. This is a lot. I realized that I've seen some faces light up when I've made recent compliments. But not always. As I get older, I realize there are more people like me who respond to compliments with a "yeah, sure, thanks." \
I have today officially decided to give sincere compliments to others as often as I feel and to seek things to compliment on.
Also, I need to cheer the heck up when people compliment me. Sincere or not, they're trying to be nice. Show them how much you appreciate their compliment.
BE NICE
...By the way, you look GREAT today!

No comments:

Post a Comment